We’re excited to share that the MLH Fellowship will be back again this school year! Below is an overview of everything you need to know about the upcoming fall 2023 semester.
What is the MLH Fellowship?
The MLH Fellowship is a 12-week internship alternative for aspiring software engineers. Fellows on the Software Engineering track experience what it’s like to collaborate in a small group on a real project from one of our partners.
This year, participating MLH Fellows will receive additional orientation support and training events on top of our existing programs and mentorship opportunities.
What tracks can you participate in this semester?
We have three tracks open this summer: Software Engineering, Site Reliability Engineering, and Web3 Engineering. Below is an overview of each track to help you decide which one is right for you!
- Software Engineering – Software Engineering is one of the most in-demand skills that tech companies are hiring for. As an MLH Fellow on the Software Engineering Track, you’ll be matched to a real project from one of our partners. You’ll experience what it’s like to work on a real software engineering team first-hand, working on either open- or closed-source projects that tech companies depend on every day.
- Site Reliability Engineering – Site Reliability Engineering, also known as DevOps, is one of the most in-demand skills that tech companies are hiring for. It’s a hybrid between software & systems engineering that works across product & infrastructure to make sure services are reliable & scalable. In the Site Reliability Engineering Track of the MLH Fellowship, you’ll learn the skills needed to keep products running. You’ll write code and debug hard problems. By the end of the program, you will gain valuable technical skills and the experience needed for a career in Site Reliability Engineering.
- Web3 Engineering – Web3 is the name given to internet services that are built using decentralized blockchains — the distributed ledger systems used by cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ether. This underlying technology has broad applications, though, and Web3 has grown to encompass gaming, social platforms, crowdfunding, CRMs, and more. In the Web3 track of the MLH Fellowship, you’ll learn the skills needed to build on this quickly evolving part of the web and contribute to cutting-edge Web3 applications. Through expert mentorship, you’ll learn how to code on blockchains like Solana, collaborate on a team, and debug hard problems. By the end of the program, you will gain valuable technical skills and the experience needed for a career in Web3 and beyond.
What is the new Web3 MLH Fellowship Incubator?
Get the unique opportunity to turn your Web3 hackathon project from prototype to product! The Web3 Fellowship Incubator will run from July 10th – September 29th. The incubator will include monthly sprints, demo days, mentorship, and more to support the development of your project.
Partners in the Web3 ecosystem will provide additional weekly product and technical mentorship as well as disburse project grants. At the conclusion of the Web3 Fellowship Incubator, graduating teams will have the opportunity to showcase their project at a pitch and demo day to the NEAR team and other investors.
Program spots will be awarded to winners of our Web3 BUILD Hackathon Hosted in Partnership with NEAR Horizon taking place on June 30th.
Where can I go to learn more about the MLH Fellowship?
Check out the awesome stories below written by former MLH Fellows. For any questions about the MLH Fellowship, you can also email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• How the MLH Fellowship Helped Me Kickstart my Career in Tech
• How the MLH Fellowship Helped Me Land My First Job at Microsoft
• Collaborating with G-Research Through the MLH Fellowship
• Contributing to Alerta with G-Research Through the MLH Fellowship
• Contributing to Jupyterlab-Git Through the MLH Fellowship
• Contributing to Node.Js Through the Open Source Track of the Fellowship
• Contributing to Open Source Through the MLH Fellowship
What is the fall program deadline?
The deadline to apply for the Fall 2023 program of the MLH Fellowship is July 31st for applicants from Asia and August 31st for applicants from other regions.
Check out our website to learn more about the MLH Fellowship, and apply here for the Fall 2023 program!
Interested in becoming a partner? Visit our partner’s page to learn how you can power your next open-source project with the next generation of developers.